||We know of 9 events of note in literature and the arts that occurred on May 27:
- American author Dashell Hammett, who created The Thin Man series, was born on this day in 1894.
- American author John Barth was born on this day in 1932.
- American author John Cheever was born on this day in 1912.
- English novelist Arnold Bennett, who wrote Old Wives' Tale, was born on this day in 1867. In a demonstration of the purity of a water treatment plant, he drank a glass of its water. He caught typhoid fever and died.
- Influntial environmentalist Rachel Carson was born on this day in 1907 in Springdale, Pennsylvania.
- Isadora Duncan, the dancer, was born on this day in 1878. She reputedly suggested to George Bernard Shaw that they have a child together, so that it would have her looks and his brains. He is said to have declined, fearing that it might have his looks and her brains.
- The world's most famous violinint, Noccoló Paganini, died on this day in 1840.
- The writer of midbrow classics Herman Wouk was born on this day in 1915.
- Western detective-fiction author Tony Hillerman was born on this day in 1925.