||We know of 6 events of note in literature and the arts that occurred on February 13:
- Espionage writer Georges Simenon was born in this day in 1903.
- Grant Wood, the American painter, was born on this day in 1892.
- On this day in 1910, William Schockley, considered the father of the electronic transistor (developed in 1947) and therefore one of the pioneers of the information age, was born in London. His later life was surrounded in controversy because of his extremist racial views.
- Russian author Alexander Solzhenitsyn was exiled from the Soviet Union on this day in 1974.
- The first American magazine, called oddly enough The American Magazine, was published in 1841 by Andrew Bradford in Philadelphia.
- The German opera-meister Richard Wagner left this life in 1883.