||We know of 6 events of note in literature and the arts that occurred on January 27:
- In 1302, Dante Alighieri was expelled from his native city of Florence because his party fell out of favor. He was never able to return. He wrote his Divine Comedy in exile in Ravenna. Dante is the father of the Italian language in the same way that Luther is the father of German, Cervantes the father of Spanish, and Chaucer the father of English.
- Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, Austrian writer, was born on this day in 1836. The word masochism comes from his name.
- On this day in 1621, Sir Francis Bacon was ennobled as Viscount St Albans.
- On this day in 1927, Edmund Wilson told Ernest Hemingway that his novel The Sun Also Rises was "a knockout, the best piece of fiction this crop has done."
- The National Geographic Society was organized on this day in 1888 in the nation's capital.
- William Randolph Hearst. Jr., newspaper publisher, was born on this day in 1908. He was the model for Charles Foster Kane in Citizen Kane.